At a Glance
Waihopai Power Station began operating in 1927, supplying electricity to Blenheim and the surrounding area. The original capacity was just 1 MW. Demand for electricity quickly rose, and in 1930 and 1937, capacity was expanded with new diesel generating sets. Plans to further increase capacity were blocked in 1943 due to Government wartime import restrictions.
In 1996, we installed a new 2 MW generator and turbine to replace one of the existing 500 kW units. This and other upgrade work has lifted maximum output to 2.4 MW, with an annual average output of 10.9 GWh.
Environment and recreation
In 2004, Waihopai was successfully granted Resource Consents allowing operation until 2039. More recently, a trap and transfer programme for elver (young eel) and adult Longfin Eels has been established, to enhance the eel population of the Waihopai River catchment.