This follows completion of Stage 1 of the Snowtown Wind Farm in November 2008, bringing to an end seven years of construction since work began in April 2007.
“We’re looking forward to celebrating the completion of this significant project not only with the people of Snowtown, who have given us their support all this time, but also with people from surrounding communities in the Mid-North,” said Trustpower Wind Generation Development Manager Rontheo van Zyl.
“We want this to be the best community celebration Snowtown has ever had and we’ve lined up lots of events and attractions that will provide fun and entertainment for all who attend.”
The Family Fun Day starts at 10am with an official opening at 11am, followed by a variety of attractions that include a cycling event with Australian cycling champion and Siemens ambassador Cadel Evans, and helicopter rides over the wind farm on the Barunga Ranges.
The many free attractions on the day will include:
- Displays by Trustpower and Siemens (the technology company that supplied and built Snowtown Stage 2) in Snowtown Memorial Hall
- A children’s art exhibition, also in Snowtown Memorial Hall
- Skateboarding workshops and demonstrations by Skate Boarding Australia
- A brass quintet from Adelaide Youth Wind Orchestra
- Bus trips to the wind farm
- Children’s activities including art and craft activities and games, face painting, henna tattoos, balloon twisting, bouncy castles and Rock About (mobile rock climbing)
In addition there will be food stalls providing tasty cuisine on the day. Although most activities will be free, the Snowtown Lions Club will have donation buckets for the Lions Childhood Cancer Foundation if people would like to donate.
Mr van Zyl said Stage 2 of the Snowtown Wind Farm, which has 90 Siemens turbines capable of providing power for 180,000 homes, was now in full operation. Combined with the 47 turbines of Stage 1, it was now a major contributor to the state’s electricity supply. In July this year SA’s wind farms contributed 43 per cent of the state’s power needs.
Rontheo van Zyl, Trustpower Wind Generation Development Manager
Tel. (08) 8172 7203 or 0400 802 445