At a Glance
The origins of Hinemaiaia Scheme were in 1939, with a push to develop an electricity supply for Taupo. Power was first generated from Hinemaiaia A Station in 1952 and fed into the national grid from 1958. A second generator was commissioned in 1982, boosting output to 2 MW.
Hinemaiaia B (1.3 MW) was commissioned in 1966 and Hinemaiaia C (2.8 MW) in 1982.
Environment and recreation
Hinemaiaia A Lake has grown into a rich wetland, protected through restricted public access. Below Hinemaiaia B Station, there’s a productive trout spawning area. For this stretch of river, we maintain a flow of three cubic metres per second, so long as there’s sufficient flow from Hinemaiaia A Lake. This consistent water flow aids trout migration up the river and avoids any concerns of erosion due to irregular flows.
We run a comprehensive trout trap and transfer programme, each year releasing 200 trout and around 35,000 fry above Hinemaiaia B Dam. We need to periodically dredge Hinemaiaia A Lake to ensure sufficient water storage. Scientific investigations that we commissioned showed no significant long-term environmental effects from the dredging.
New Resource Consents for the Hinemaiaia Scheme were granted in 2003, with expiry scheduled for 2036.