At Trustpower, we respect the environments we operate in. We see our role as a caretaker as well as an owner and operator of facilities. Our focus on sustainable generation supports New Zealand in meeting its climate change obligations and is in line with the New Zealand Government’s long-term Energy Strategy.
Our Environmental Policy guides all our actions that have potential to affect the environment. The policy was developed by staff who are responsible for Trustpower’s day-to-day operations. Confirming its key place in our business, the policy is signed off by the Trustpower Board of Directors.
Our environmental policy
- Trustpower will operate in ways that minimise all potential negative environmental effects
- We will, where practical, maximise all potential positive environmental effects.
Trustpower will operate so as to comply with all legal and statutory environmental obligations. In operating, maintaining and enhancing assets, Trustpower will:
- Avoid or minimise all adverse environmental effects which our operations may cause
- Liaise and work with the community and all potentially affected stakeholders in the identification, mitigation and/or monitoring of any potential environmental effects
- Use and operate the natural and physical resources under our control in an efficient and environmentally appropriate and responsible manner
- Recycle and reuse material where practically and economically feasible
- Ensure all generation staff and contractors acting on our behalf are (1) aware of the surrounding environment and potential environmental effects which operations could induce; and (2) aware of contingencies and procedures to be followed if an adverse environmental effect is induced.
By adopting and requiring adherence to these goals and policies, we seek to further enhance our environmental performance and awareness.