Kaniere Forks Centenary Brochure
The Kaniere Forks power station, on the West Coast of the South Island, turned 100 in September 2009. To celebrate this milestone TrustPower produced a brochure which tells the story of this historic power scheme. You can download a copy of this brochure right here.
Fascinating Electricity Facts
How the electricity industry works in New Zealand.
Most of New Zealand's electricity is produced by hydro generation. Other generation methods also used include geothermal, gas, coal and wind.
TrustPower owns 36 hydro-generators, one wind farm in Australia and two wind farms in New Zealand, one of which is the country's largest. For more information click here.
The National Grid is owned by Transpower a State Owned Enterprise and is the method used to transport high voltage electricity throughout the country.
To visit the Transpower website click here.
Once high voltage electricity is delivered to areas via the National Grid, distribution to local areas is across the lines owned by the local network operators.
To visit examples of Network company websites, go to:
Eastland Network Limited
Electricity retail companies either generate electricity or purchase through the wholesale electricity market and pay the network operator for use of the lines.
The retail company then provides services and charges the end-use customer for the delivered electricity including the line costs.
Links to more fascinating electricity information and games for primary school children
- Energy Quest - This site has loads of interesting and exciting information about electricity as well as games and science projects that you can do at home.
- Fun with electricity - How is electricity made and how does it get to my house?
- Science Made Simple - Find out all about static electricity.
- More energy links - More links to the world of electricity on the world wide web.
- Harnessing Sunlight - A kids' guide to solar power.
Links to more fascinating electricty information for secondary school children
- Energy Kids Page - The science of electricity for secondary students.
- Benjamin Franklin - An entire site dedicated to the brilliant Benjamin Franklin and other resourceful links.
- A New Zealand site dedicated to ENERGY.
- Wind Power - an illustrated history of its development.
- Ministry of Economic Development - Chronology of New Zealand Electricity Reform.
- Theatre of Electricity - The fascinating history behind the Van de Graaff Generator from the Museum of Science in Boston.
Please note that a number of the above sites maybe outside of New Zealand and contain advice or information that only applies in a local setting, e.g. telephone numbers.